Wednesday 7 August 2013

Putting the 'P' in Prep


Going on a year abroad doesn’t miraculously happen, and until recently I underestimated the amount of admin – that is the sending of emails back and forth and form filling – it involves. The meticulous planning has paid off though and three of my biggest concerns, securing accommodation, signing up for a language class, and choosing my modules have been organised.

I have been lucky enough to secure a room in student halls. The positive side of this is that rent is affordable and considerably cheaper compared to some rents on the private market. The other upside is that I will feel much more a part of the student community as I will be studying and living with other students.

There are alternative options though. If you don’t secure a room in student halls or prefer to rent privately, you can find accommodation by looking at local ads in newspapers, searching through accommodation listings online or even by looking at pinboards on campus when you arrive.

Heidelberg has a particularly good service called the ‘Zimmerbörse’. The exchange service allows students who are studying abroad themselves to sublet their rooms to incoming students while they are away.

Signing up for a language class was considerably less daunting than securing accommodation. Thankfully English at Heidelberg is taught in English (who knew?), but since I’ll be living in Heidelberg for a year, I figure it would be wise to at least attempt to learn the language of my host university. 

I wasn’t able to take part in the course offered at the university, but after some research I have signed up to a similar German course which is run in the city centre. The added bonus is that it is cheaper than the course offered at the university. If you don’t get onto the language course offered at your study abroad university it is worthwhile checking out other language courses offered in the city. 
At Heidelberg you are expected to email tutors in order to sign up for your modules. This means you have to be slightly more proactive and perceptive, as you’re responsible for creating your own timetable. 

At first glance the workload at Heidelberg appears to be more vigorous, in most cases students studying English will take five modules. These vary in level (and credits!), ranging from ‘A-level’ standard right up to ‘Master’s level’. Always the optimist, I’m looking forward to the variety, and the opportunity to study new themes. 

At this rate I’ll have to make the most of the summer before I’m thrown into that well-loved cycle of study, revision and exams!

No comments:

Post a Comment