Friday 26 July 2013

Studying Abroad: Multitasking and Problem Solving



I will be studying abroad next year in Heidelberg, Germany. The chance to study abroad will provide an opportunity for further development, as I will be completely independent, immersing in a different country with different cultural norms and modes. Already the advent of studying abroad has offered up challenges and positive opportunities. I have exercised skills in multitasking and problem solving.

One of the positives of studying abroad I have experienced is the new role I have acquired as ‘Study Abroad Student Blogger’ for the University of Leicester. Devoting weekly travel posts to my imminent journey to Germany has enabled me to anticipate what I will have to prepare for when I go abroad, for example independently securing accommodation, signing up for language courses and registering for classes. Fulfilling this role as a Student Blogger has also encouraged me to multitask as I have to fit my blogging around working full time over the summer, signing the necessary study abroad documents and completing the Leicester Award itself. 

Being a Student Blogger has undoubtedly improved my ability to organise myself and meet deadlines; the role provides me with a journalism portfolio and perhaps more importantly encourages thinking ahead to the imminent future. This will hopefully make the transition from being in my comfort zone amongst friends and family in the UK, to a completely unfamiliar environment in Germany less daunting. 

Participating in a year abroad has already tested my proactive nature. I was unable to participate in the preparatory German language courses offered by the university abroad as my dates of arrival clashed with the course dates. However I overcame this setback by inquiring about alternative options. I was able to find another language course offered in Heidelberg which starts a week later and is accredited. By signing up for the alternative language course and looking beyond the facilities offered at the university, I discovered that I like to find solutions to problems and complete tasks in an ordered fashion. Although I was disappointed I could not take part in the university regulated language course, I did not want to start my studies with little to no knowledge in conversational German; I was motivated to look at other options within the city and hence immerse myself in Heidelberg’s culture. 

Ultimately, I believe taking a year abroad will give me confidence in my own abilities. I hope participating in a year abroad will expose me to new career opportunities. We now live in a global village whereby borders are being diminished by technology and the growing familiarity we have with other nations. I would also like to use this trip abroad to explore journalism opportunities in Europe. I have a strong desire to travel and experience different societies. Ideally I would like to gain some journalism experience while I am in Germany and learn the language to increase my journalistic skills. I hope participating in the German language course will be my first step towards networking with other cultures and building relationships with potential friends and contacts beyond the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment